Thursday 21 July 2011

Bandon Dunes

Bandon Dunes is an authentic links course, very similar to those found in the British Isles. Course Architect, David McLay Kidd, is Scottish and is quoted as saying, "from the moment I stepped out on these wild wind-shaped sand dunes, I knew this would be the opportunity of a lifetime.
Mike Keiser, the owner, wanted something authentic and true to the Scottish tradition. My reply was,'no real estate, no golf carts, no clubhouse on the beach.' I imagined the routing having the structure of a symphony - a strong start, a sense of anticipation, small crescendos and an incredible finishing sequence along the Pacific. The course had to provide not only a challenge to every skill level but both a sense of adventure and an exploration of this great landscape. As on true links courses, each hole offers several strategies to reach the green.
Although the fairways and especially the greens are huge, the best line of attack requires accuracy, which can be tricky. Players must consider the sea breeze and the firm sand-based turf. And newcomers to links golf must master playing the ball along the ground, shots that have all but disappeared from today's game. It thrills me now to watch the public playing the game as it was originally meant to be played, on the finest linksland I have seen outside the British Isles."


As for the match, this was a pivotal day for me to win, already down 2-1 in the series. The front 9 was an up and down affair for me, a couple of bogey's and a double on the ninth meant that Jarvis Senior turned 1 up.
With my head down walking to the tenth tee, I said to myself that coming back from 3-1 down will almost be impossible. "Dig deep Ben!" And I did. The back nine resulted in my best golf in the series to date. Three birdies and -1 over the nine holes saw me win the match on 17.

Result: Son defeated Father 2&1

As I write this post, Dad is asleep and snoring like there is no tomorrow. Perhaps I've struck form at the right time and the old guy is running out of legs! Tomorrow is our final game at Bandon, on Tom Doak's Old Macdonald. I plan on winning and taking the series lead for the first time, heading into the final two rounds at Pebble Beach and Cypress Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment